Coming Home to Yourself:
How to Plan a Weekend Retreat for your Body, Mind and Soul
by Luzia Light
Are you in the wrong place at the wrong time? What’s going on in your life right now? Are you doing work that makes your heart sing and your soul rejoice? Are you in a love relationship that is filled with mutual love, respect and support? Are you living in your dream home? Your dream neighbourhood? Your dream country? What area of your life feels ‘like totally’ off? Take some time during your weekend retreat to reflect on these kind of questions.
I find when people are in the wrong place at the wrong time, they get cranky, moody, they get sick a lot and they gain weight from trying to somehow get extra energy from more food, especially sugar. This state of being, where your life feels off, makes you feel unwell. Somehow, your spirit doesn’t seem to inhabit your entire body. Your spirit kind of thinks about your life: “meh”. It doesnt get excited, so it retreats and your body feels tired and exhausted all the time, no matter how much sleep you get.
Coming home to yourself means your spirit is coming back into your body, fully committed, 100% excited about what is happening in your life. You need to figure out where the right place is and the right time for you, personally. The best way to figure this out is by taking a step back and taking some time out. Here are some ideas for planning your personal Weekend Retreat.
Weekend Retreat Preparation
- Go grocery shopping for healthy meals and snakcs and relaxing herbal teas.
- Do your laundry and tidy up your home. Maybe do a bit of cleaning, too, but tidying is most important for relaxing.
- Cancel all unimportant appointments.
- Arrange your alone-time. Send your children to Grandma’s house or arrange sleepovers at their friends’ house. Tell their parents you’ll return the favour another weekend. Tell your significant other that you need some alone time this weekend. Send him (or her) to the golf course, to the hockey game or to a mall. Alternatively, you could go away for the weekend and book yourself into a little Bed & Breakfast somewhere in the country or by the sea. Figure out what works best for you, but arrange some time to be by yourself. If a whole weekend is out of the question, make it a day or an afternoon.
- Unplug. You need your phone in case of emergencies, of course, but resolve to not constantly check your messages. You might want to watch a movie on your computer, but try to refrain from mindless internet browsing and facebook scrolling. Just for this weekend focus on yourself, not on the billions of other people on the internet.
- Write a list right now and start planning your weekend retreat. What needs to be done to make this a reality maybe even this coming weekend?
Your Weekend Retreat
1. Plan lots of self-care activities. Here are some ideas:
– Sleep in and take naps.
– Take a long bubble bath.
– Give yourself a mani/pedi.
– Buy yourself some body lotion with your favourite scent.
– Go for walks and take pictures with your phone of interesting and beautiful things.
– Read a book.
– Get a stack of your favourite magazines from the library.
– Be a tourist in your own town and do some sightseeing.
– Eat lots of healthy, delicious food.
– Sit in a comfortable armchair in a quiet spot and just enjoy a cup of tea and do nothing else.
– Take deep breaths.
– Light candles.
– Listen to relaxing spa-music.
– Play fun and uplifting songs you can sing along to.
– Dance wildly in your living room.
2. Coming Home to Yourself Activities
– Write in your journal and explore. Ask yourself: Where would you rather be right now in your life? Where would you rather be on Monday morning? Find out where you – your spirit, your true self – really wants to be.
– Take some pennies to a fountain and make as many wishes as you can think of. This is a beautiful way to find out about your deepest desires.
– Do only things you love doing. Maybe you don’t even know what those are. It’s time to explore!
– Meditate. 10-20 in the morning and evening. While meditating, ask God/Goddess or your inner wisdom: What do I want? What do I need to be happy? What do I need to know to live my life with more joy?
– Go for a walk in nature. Do a walking meditation and just walk mindfully, being aware of the present moment. Talk to the trees and the birds or even the rocks. If they had words what would they tell you?
– Get some old magazines, a pair of scissors and a glue stick and make a little collage.
Make one collage about what your life looks and feels like right now. Then make a second collage about what you really want your life to look and feel like.
At the end of your Weekend Retreat
Think about what changes you want to make in your life to live more in harmony with your body, mind and soul. Dream, imagine, visualize! What action steps can you take now that move you in the direction of your ideal life? Make a plan! Have fun!