by Luzia Light
Dedicate a space somewhere in your home to capture the bits and pieces of life that are happening right now and can’t be filed away just yet. It’s a revolving display of miscellaneous documentation, a communication center for the goings on of life. Dedicate a wall or a corner by your entrance or in the kitchen of your home or any other place you pass by often. An organization station is really great for big families, but even if you live by yourself, it creates a lot of simplicity in your life to have all of the important information and notes displayed in just one place and not in little pieces of paper all over your home, in cupboards and bags and notebooks. This is is one place where you find anything important that’s relevant in your life right now. It helps you to clear your head and find inner peace and calm. Just say ‘Om’.
Things you may want to display in your Organization Station:
- place a little table, a desk, shelf or simply use an area of your kitchen counter
- hang a pin board, a chalkboard or magnet board or all three
- display a beautiful wall calendar
- have two trays: an in basket for works in progress and an out basket for filing.
- place a small box or something similar for your mail
- a container, glass, vase, jar or can for pens, sharpies and felt pens in various colours.
- dedicate a drawer or small box, container or mason jar for scissors, glue stick and scotch tape.
- have stapler and hole punch handy
- a big binder to collect important papers, with colour dividers to separate all the areas of your busy life: current financial papers, to do school projects, car insurance renewal, bills, etc., anything that still needs to be addressed and can’t be filed away yet.
- an exit drawer! This is can be an actual drawer or simply a box or basket where you collect everything that needs to leave the house, like library books, purchased items you need to return to the store, items to be donated to charity, things you borrowed from your neighbours or friends etc.
- other items you may want to keep handy: index cards, sticky notes, paperclips
- tray or hooks for keys
- hooks for bags or backpacks
- hooks for masking or washi tape
- cell phone chargers
- a hanging file basket for coupons, gift cards or take out menus
- hang clip boards on the wall to display weekly planners, charts, school schedules, your weekly meal schedule, daily today list etc.
Things you may want to display on your memo boards or hanging file baskets:
- important telephone numbers
- party invitations
- receipts for items needing to be returned
- bills to be paid
- application forms to be filled out
- due date slips for library books
- appointment note cards (dentist etc.)
- a list of current issues to tackle
- a “one list”, a list of absolutely everything that you want to buy or do at some point in your life, this could include items on your ‘bucket list’ like travel to Paris for your wedding anniversary, or swim with dolphins in Hawaii etc.
- family chores
- grocery shopping list
- a weekly (or monthly) cleaning schedule
- a list of things that need to be repaired
Paint the wall a funky colour, or cover it in fabric or corkboard. Add framed photos and inspirational quotes. Be creative! Have fun!