by Luzia Light
“If you’re not thinking a negative thought, then your vibration will raise to its natural positive place.” ~ Abraham-Hicks
I love this quote by Abraham. It rings so true. Isn’t it amazing that in order to live a happy life, you don’t even have to actively do anything, nothing! All you need to do is stop the negative thinking. Not that this is an easy task, not at all, but it’s still not doing something, it’s the absence of doing something. It’s a bad habit you need to eliminate. It doesn’t take any time to do, it frees up more time to think productive, positive thoughts instead. Also consider this: negative thoughts only feel bad because they are not in alignment with who you really are. They really are just road signs to let you know: Wrong way! Adjust course! So, how do we adjust the course? How can we stop our negative thoughts? Here are some ideas.
10 Ways to Help you Stop Negative Thoughts
1. Go to Pinterest and create a folder and name it something like ‘things that make me happy’ or ‘things that I love’ and then go to the “Everything” section of Pinterest, look for things you love and start pinning. Or think of things you love, then type them in the search box and pin away. If you don’t like Pinterest, get some old magazines and look for images that make you happy and create a collage or a ‘Happiness Book’.
2. Write a list right now of everything that is working in your life, of things you like just the way they are, of things you don’t want to change.
3. Think of 100 things, people, situations, memories, foods, drinks etc. you are grateful for. Write a list or just count them with a friend, your spouse or your kids (or someone else’s kids – kids are good that!).
4. Display beautiful artwork. Go through your home and check all of the pictures you have hanging on the walls. How do they make you feel? Make sure you only hang photos, paintings and prints that reflect the vision you have for your life. Display photos of happy vacations and all the people in the life that you love. Frame a favourite quote or affirmation. Doing this will ensure you think happy thoughts at least when you look at your art.
5. Watch a happy movie. That most likely will be a comedy, but documentaries count if the subject matter is positive and happy. No bittersweet romance movies! The rule is, there are no dead bodies in this movie anywhere (with the possible exception of ‘Little Miss Sunshine’, somehow they made death seem like a natural and kind of comical part of life!)
6. Cut off your negative thoughts mid-sentence. Whenever you hear yourself think or say something negative, cut off your thought mid-sentence and replace it with the opposite. So, if you start to think: O, God, I hate my job and don’t want to go to work today’, cut it off and say or think instead: ‘ O, God, I love my job and can’t wait to get to work today. Wonderful things will happen.’ Even if the opposite may not be the truth, if you keep doing this, your vibration will shift tremendously and your life can’t help but bring you wonderful things. I did this once for a whole month, it was hard work, really, but my life changed 180 degrees, by the end of the month I had a great job, a cute boyfriend, I had made new friends, and I felt really happy for the first time in a long time. Give this a try!
7. Just for today, I will not worry. Worries are a major part of negative thinking. Lists of worries can be literally endless. No matter how great your life is, you can always find something to worry about, it’s amazing isn’t it? Like, What if my car breaks down today? What if I get this horrible disease that’s been going around? What if breathing gives me cancer? What if my child gets hurt? What if I never lose weight? What if I get stuck in this elevator and have no food or water for hours? What if….. it’s endless, really. So, just stop it! Worries give you something to do, but they do nothing for you. Whenever you begin a worry thought, say: “That’s a story that doesn’t need to happen.” or “Delete! Delete!” or “Don’t go there, ____ (insert your name)”.
8. Your body has the amazing ability to heal itself. If you have any recurring negative thoughts about your health – as most people do, I’m sure – say or think this affirmation: “My body has the amazing ability to heal itself.” This is not a wishful thinking affirmation, it is the honest-to-goodness truth!
9. Turn off the news. Watching news on television or online can really change your mood for the worse. News are almost always bad and film footage is almost always sensationalized and dramatized. They’re like mini-horror movies that you watch every day just before you go to sleep. A good alternative might be to either read a newspaper or listen to the news on the radio, that way you can remain more emotionally detached. It really makes a big difference. Or counteract the bad news by subscribing to a good news website (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/good-news). Talking about cancer and the destruction of the environment only creates frustration and anxiety. I wish the world would talk more about solutions, like new healing methods and alternative energy resources. That would create positive thinking!
10. Let go and let God/Goddess/AllThatIs. When you feel overwhelmed with everything that is going wrong in your life right now, stop trying to figure it out all by yourself. Ask for divine help and guidance. Trust that you are taken care of. When you let go of the resistance – which could be thoughts like: I don’t deserve help. I’m not worthy. etc. – and believe that God/Goddess/AllThatIs is Love and therefore doesn’t judge you ever and will never join you in your effort to create a negative self-image, then you will remember your connection to the divine and begin to heal and feel great again. Release your negative ego and embrace your inner light. Let your inner light expand out into your entire life!